Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The broken leg and the list

My better half broke his leg about a month ago and that has caused some big changes in our lives.  The initial accident led to a one hour long ride in an ambulance to a hospital in the big city of Winston-Salem, NC, followed by a few hours in the emergency room and 3 days in the hospital to make sure his head and back were okay since they were bothering him quite a bit....we already knew his leg was not okay.  Head and back were deemed okay so we headed home with a soft cast and orders to keep the leg very elevated for a week then come back.

Fast forward a week later...we return to the hospital for his surgery to piece back together his leg, which led to another 3 day stay in the hospital.

I have been very busy doing the work of two people and playing nurse.  Myles is getting around better now, but cannot put weight on his leg until September and will probably not be back to riding horses again until close to the new year.

Lucky for me

SCHOOL'S OUT for the summer.

I have had two official days of summer break that have been busy and fun.  My days this summer will be filled with gardening, cooking, cleaning, barn chores, yard work, working on a new our newest animal venture (a rabbit colony), teaching riding lessons, knitting, and yoga & water aerobics classes (my treat to myself).  My sister and I are also hoping to build a chicken hoop house for broilers this summer if we can find the time.

On another note.  The preservative free diet is still in full swing and I do not really have to check labels anymore, I pretty much stick to the outer edge of the store and know what I can buy.  I have not had to buy much lately with the garden in full swing and plenty of meat in the freezer.  Store trips usually are just to pick up flour, sugar, bananas and hard cheeses.

No comments:

Post a Comment