Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Wall inspiration

Want to see something funny?


Okay back to what I really meant to share.  I love pinterest (you know you do too).  So I was perusing pinterest last September and was coming across a lot of quotes on peoples wall.  I think this is a pretty popular thing to do these days.  We did not currently have any words of inspiration on our wall, so I thought it might be something nice to do.  However I had yet to see something that I really thought fit us enough to write it on the wall.

A few weeks later I had kind of forgot about the idea when I came across one that I loved and I had to add it to our home.  There is a hallway in our home that leads to all the bedrooms besides the master and ends in a blank wall.  This wall once had some beautiful plates with chickens painted on them hanging on it, but one of the plates lost a fight with a broom so I had taken them down. This empty wall, I thought, was the perfect location.  The only problem was I really wanted the words to be simple text and black and white.  The hallways was yellow.  To make a long story short the idea to put some words on the wall in our hallways led to me repainting the hallway, the kitchen and the kitchen cabinets.  Anyhow the project was complete a week before our wedding so I consider it a success.

If I had one of those fancy vinyl cutter printer things I would have just used it to make my quote.  Another alternative would be to go online and order the stick on words custom made (too pricey).  My alternative was very cheap but much more time-consuming.  I typed out what I wanted and then used a poster maker to blow it up.  The time consuming part....I cut out all the letters with a box cutter.  Ta-da, a stencil.  Taped this to the wall painted the letters and touched up with sharpie and some extra white paint.  It was a process, but it was worth it.  You can see these words when you walk into the kitchen and whenever you head for a bedroom, so we are constantly reminded of who we are trying to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment