Friday, March 2, 2012

Chicks......and ducks

Have you ever convinced yourself to get something you don't need because you really really want it?
Back to that in a minute....

We got out meat birds thist week.

This is the first time we have done meat chickens so we only got 25.  When we try something new for the first time we also try not so spend to much on the project in case we find out we don't like said project and don't want to do it again.  Should we find that we enjoy whatever it is we did then we consider investing in better supplies.  We have an extra dog lot that was given to us that we will use to raise these guys in.  I only felt comfortable putting 25 chickens in this lot at a time so that is what we got.  In the future I would like to get more.

We also went to easy route with Cornish Rocks this time, but will consider heritage breeds in the future.

For a brooder we are using a big water trough that leaks so is no good for giving livestock water.  This gives them plenty of room.  With smaller numbers of chicks (like when we add a few layers we use sterilite containers).  The chicks will live here for a week or so, then move to my big wonderful cage (see previous post about the best cage ever), then into their outdoor lot.


Back to the question.  I convinced myself that I needed ducks.  Yesterday I went to our feed store to pick up my chicks and they had ducklings....they were cute and I wanted one.  I decided that a duck would be very happy living at our house and also very cute, so I got two.  THE END!

No comments:

Post a Comment